WOMEN'S HISTORY & RESOURCE CENTER

 

Why Women’s History?

What we have accomplished as women’s clubs over the past 125 years is a vital part of who we are today – most club members have no idea of the rich history of good works done by our individual clubs and our state and international federations.  We’ve successfully advocated for virtually all issues of importance to women, families and communities.

 

Why Resource Center?

The archives and research library of General Federation of Women’s Clubs document the social and political advocacy of volunteers from 1890 to the present, providing a wealth of information for those studying issues such as: women’s suffrage; workplace equity; child labor reform; pure food and drug laws; conservation of natural resources and establishment of national parks; preservation of Native American culture; international diplomacy; and development of public libraries.

 

Why GFWC’s Women’s History and Resource Center?

Collections consist of the GFWC archives, a research library, historic furnishings, art and artifacts of the General Federation of Women’s Clubs and individual state federations.  Several items donated by GFWC Pennsylvania are part of the collection.  Researchers may work with historic documents, photographs and publications at one of the most comprehensive women’s history research centers in the country.

At the dedication of the WHRC on May 1, 1984, President George H.W. Bush stated: 

This collection will “encourage and inspire multitudes more to do the hard and constant work of turning this fragile planet of ours into a more humane and gentle world.”

Consider an individual or club donation of $25.00 or more to support the ongoing work of this outstanding center, located at our International Headquarters in Washington, DC.  Checks may be sent to Women’s History & Resource Center, 1734 N Street NW, Washington, DC 20036-2990 or donate online at www.GFWC.org/WHRC.

 

1734 Society

And consider a donation to the 1734 Society, which provides for the preservation of our Headquarters, a National Historic Landmark.  Donations of $17.34 or more entitle you to 1734 Society membership.  Checks may be sent to GFWC 1734 Society, 1734 N Street NW, Washington DC  20036-2990, or donate online at www.GFWC.org.

 

Chairman

Marcia L. Wilson
386 Hill Road, Hanover 17331-9092
717.633.6230    email: keiserr@verizon.net